Party of One

Ah, the single life. I must say, I've gotten pretty good at it. Which makes sense, seeing as how I've had a lot of practice. I even have a cat. Just one though. I have gone on dates here and there, but for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out. I'm okay with that...most of the time.

I gotta admit though, it feels like everywhere I look people are married, dating, having babies, etc. I notice in a lot of commercials that most people have wedding bands on (to be fair, I am a closet wedding ring checker. I do it to everyone...even people that I know are married). And then Facebook is out of control with marriage and babies (which are all adorable and I'd be really sad if I didn't get to see all the pictures of weddings I've missed and growing babies). I also want to admit that it might feel like everywhere I look people are married because I am single. That is absolutely possible, but either way, here I am.

I believe there is something overwhelmingly special about finding the one you're meant to spend the rest of your life with. On the flip side of that, I think there is something overwhelmingly special about being single. God has given you the task of traveling through this life without that other person. For some that might seem incredibly lonely. Yeah, it can be, but there's also a little more freedom. Some times you're just forced to find the good in whatever situation you're in. If you don't try, you'll just be miserable all the time.

I have issues. I have baggage. God knows I'm not (and may never be) ready to find the one. At some point I have to be okay with that. Otherwise, I'll always be looking for the one, and I'll miss out on experiences right in front of me.

May was a tough month. I lost Adam 11 years ago on the 10th. My dear friend Patty left us 365 days ago on the 19th. Some days I'd give anything to be where they are, but I have to keep reminding myself that God is trusting me down here. For whatever reason, this "party of one" has got to keep moving forward. And if I'm really being honest, "party of one" is a little harsh. With my family and my friends, it's more like "party of 1 and guests".

Comments

Popular Posts