What's wrong with different? Nothing.

Who says I have to get married? Who says I have to get married and have kids? I know that extreme happiness can be found in doing both of those. But what about the people who don't and are still extremely happy? Is that so wrong? I don't think so.

I told someone the other day that I hadn't dated anyone since high school. They were kind of dumbfounded. I dated Adam, and I like to think we would have been together for a long time. But we weren't. Two years after he died, I dated another guy. A great guy. He was a good boyfriend, and I was a bad girlfriend, and that is why it ended. I was a bad girlfriend because I wasn't ready to date yet, and I thought I was.

And since then, I haven't dated. I haven't found anyone to date. I always heard that if you quit looking, they will find you. I have quit looking and either he just hasn't found me yet, or I'm not meant to be with anyone. And is it so bad to be ok with both of those possibilities? I don't think so. I have my good and bad days. And I know for a fact that people who are married and in love have good and bad days as well. They can lean on their spouses. I can lean on my parents, my sisters, my friends, my cousins. Married people can lean on all of those people as well.

What's so wrong with being single? Nothing. It's just different than what the world expects. And if you can find happiness not being married, all the more power to you. If someone is meant to find me, he will, and I'll be extremely happy. But if no one is meant to find me, I'll still be extremely happy because of all the people who have already found me.

And just to let you know, I am in love. I am in love with my God. I'm in love with my family. I'm in love with my friends. I understand that "married love" is different than what I am talking about, but I think it's just as strong. And again, what's wrong with different? Nothing.

Comments

Popular Posts