Top 5 Tuesday...sort of.

A lot has happened in the past week. Not necessarily in my life, but just around the world. However, one event does hit close to home. Here we go. Bear with me, pretty sure this weeks Top 5 will only be a Top 2 considering what I think is important.

1. Osama Bin Laden. Unless you have been hiding under a rock (much like Mr. bin Laden was), you know that he has been killed. I actually didn't have cable when Obama announced it, but I just happened to be in Wal-Mart in the electronics section when it aired. As soon as it was announced, I, of course, took out my phone to see what everyone was Tweeting and Facebooking. The only one I completely agreed with was a re-tweet by Leslee Foukal..."don't celebrate death, celebrate justice" - Derek Webb. I honestly believe that if I had been directly affected by 9/11 (meaning if I had lost a loved one), it might be hard for me to agree with that tweet. However, I really do believe that either way, it should be taken to heart. I do feel some relief for the families and friends directly affected by 9/11 because a man that they have hated for so long is now gone. And while it won't bring their loved ones back, I think it'll give them some closure. I can't say that I wouldn't feel the same way. However, I'm sure there is a another person right under Osama who has stepped up and taken the lead. But I'll feel safe as long as our US troops are around. I think that Bush started it, Obama continued it, and our troops literally did it.

2. While Osama was a very important part of American history, the tornadoes that annihilated Alabama (along with I think about 6 or 7 other states) is honestly the more important of the 2 to me. That being because it hit so close to home. I have friends that were literally sitting right next to that scary, destructive piece of nature. So close, in fact, that if it had gone a few yards one way or the other, they might not be here.

If you're wondering why the tornado is on my Top 5, it's not. Just giving some background information. What's really on my Top 5 is how Alabama has come together during this time of tragedy. All of the donations, volunteers, prayers, everything, has me in awe. I never doubted that we would help each other out in times of need, it's just overwhelming to see it in action. I'm going to share a story and then I'll be done. This past Friday morning, one of our Upward soccer coaches had an idea to have a designated drop-off area during our soccer games on Saturday. She also wanted to set-up a concession stand with drinks and snacks. And of course all items and money made would go directly to the relief fund. By Friday afternoon, less than 24 hours before games, we drew up a letter and emailed it to the league informing them of what would be happening at the fields. It almost brought me to tears how much we got. We made over $700 from the concession stand alone (that includes purchased items and monetary donations). And we easily received over $1000 worth of stuff. From cases of bottled water, to diapers, baby formula, toiletries, food, napkins, paper towels, clothes. With less than 24 hours, the people came together and donated all of this. A lot of these people hadn't had power the past few days and/or had damage to their house. We also had a woman who heard about our "drop zone" on the news and drove from Mobile, AL, dropped off her donations, and then drove back. She grew up in the Birmingham area, and she said she just wanted to help. I am at a loss for words when it comes to our state (as well as other people from other states wanting to help).

This makes me proud to be an American, and more importantly (for me) an Alabamian. For a state that people may think is all about football, take a closer look and realize that we know what's important. And that's people.

Comments

Popular Posts