Top 5 Tuesday (29)

Let's pretend tonight that Wednesday doesn't start til 1:00AM. Thanks :)

Okay, please bear with me tonight. I'm going to tell you a story, and it is definitely the top/most amazing thing that has happened to me all week. It's one of those moments where you really think everything is going to fall apart. But when you stay calm and make a plan, it all works out.

This afternoon about an hour before my "fitness class" (it's in quotations because we don't really do fitness. I just run around and play games with K5 through 3rd graders) I sat down to decide what game we were going to play. I was a little excited because I was going to try and find a new game. We have worn out some of our favorites over the last 4 months. So, as soon as I sit down the phone rings. I answer with my usual, "This is Sara." The voice says "Hi, it's Amy. I just wanted to confirm our party this Saturday." I pull up my calendar but the only party I have down is one for Julie. As soon as I see that the names don't match, I start to panic, but I don't think Amy can tell. However, when I tell her I don't have her party on my calendar, I can tell she is starting to panic. I look back through my emails and over my notes when I find it. Written as clear as day is "Amy, birthday party, Dec. 10th, 2:30 PM". I apologize profusely, and tell her that I'm going to call Julie because I think I have a plan. She is so kind in the way she says "okay". More kind than most mom's who planned their party 6 weeks ago and sent out really cute invitations (she sent me a copy of one a while back...adorable).

 A side note: parties at The Lighthouse last an hour and half. I call Julie with a horrible plan. I ask her if she can move her 3:00 party to 3:30. That way Amy's party can have an hour in the gym (2:30 - 3:30) and then I can movie Amy's party into a room upstairs for cake/presents and Julie's party can start in the gym on time. Perfect! WRONG!!! It's four days before the party, of course Julie (like Amy) has already sent out the invitations. As I'm apologizing to Julie, I think of another plan. I say, "Okay, since your party is already 30 minutes after Amy's let me ask you this. What if for the beginning of your party yall get a dance room upstairs. I'll put some jump ropes, some gymnastic mats, and music on, and your kids can just hang out and dance and do some rolls/cart wheels or whatever. Then after that 30 minutes (it'll be 3:30 by then) Amy's party will have had their hour in the gym and then we can just swap places. Your party can last longer than an hour and a half since this was my mistake." And much to my surprise, she said "Okay, I think that can work. They are 3 years old so that should entertain them for 30 minutes." Oh, they're 3. Let's just put in a movie. Just kidding. Sort of. (I did not say that to her, by the way)

Sweeeeeeeet!!!!! As soon as she agrees I take a deep breath and give a sigh of relief. However, I know I still have to call Amy. Before I get off the phone with Julie she says the sweetest thing. I apologize over and over, and she says "Hey, you're human, and I know you've got a lot on your plate. It's not a problem. I'm just glad we can still have the party." After that, I call Amy and give her the plan. She agrees as well. She is just as kind, saying almost the same thing as Julie. I can't believe that I got two moms who maintained their kindness when the plan for the birthday party for their 5 year old and 3 year old was almost ruined.

I've never double-booked a party before. The worst I have ever done is book a party that requested the moonbounce when the moonbounce was being used by someone else. It cost us $100. We had to rent another moonbounce so everyone would be covered.

So, here is what I learned. WRITE EVERYTHING ON YOUR CALENDAR! EVERYTHING! I also learned that everything will work out, and if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. However, always try to do your best and not make a mom mad. I've experienced mad mom's before...I just got lucky this time.

Thanks for reading. Until next week....

Comments

Popular Posts